The Sun Power Performance Series (P series) Solar Panels
These solar panels are primarily designed for large scale commercial purposes. This fits the bill of those who have large rooftops to cater their energy needs at a lower efficiency. The efficiency of the panels range from 16 to 17% and come at a considerable lower price per watt.
The specialty of these panels is that they use a new solar cell interconnection technique(Shingles) and true tracking single- axis tracking system (better than the backtracking of conventional panels) that allows them to generate more power than conventional panels.
How it works?
The solar cell interconnection technique eliminates take on a special design where the panel is made of large number of small overlapping strips compared to few solar cells used in conventional panels. This improves efficiency by enabling greater access to sunlight by eliminating the electrical contacts(busbars) under the overlapping part of the cells above.
Each cell is long and narrow and a busbar(which prevents light from hitting the shingles) is covered by the lower edge of the cell above it so that the only thing blocking light hitting a solar cell is another solar cell.
Due to this reflective copper ribbons that partially shade the front of solar cells in conventional commercial panels are eliminated. And also resistance to current is reduced making way for new bigger solar panel.
This larger panel — 350 watts — generates 15 percent more power than a conventional commercial panel, with an efficiency of 17 percent.
These panels produce 28% more energy compared to conventional solar Panels for the first 25 years. There is more than 97% power production in the 1st year and power production reduces 0.6% every year, ending at 82.6 % at the end of 25 years.
P series panels produce more energy per watt due to:
- Better Shade performance
- AR(Anti Reflective) Glass
- Better performance at higher temperatures
Yield (Total annual energy per Kwp) of the solar panels is increased conventionally during morning and evening by backtracking(by rotating solar panels away from the sun to prevent shading).
In the Performance series True tracking is used as a better way to have more sunlight incidence on the solar panels to increase the yield compared to Backtracking. This is possible due to the unique bussing design.
Implementing Backtracking can be complex compared to true tracking which is simple in construction and it improves efficiency with an increase in yield.
Cell Ribbon connections
Conventionally in the solar panel use ribbon – a material that is soldered directly onto silicon crystal to interconnect solar cells in a solar panel.
The ribbon and solar cells being made of different materials contract and expand at different rates resulting in high stress.
In the performance series panels, Fragile ribbons and solder bonds are removed to expand the active cell area, enabling greater energy flow with increased efficiency and enabling a longer life.
Control over Potential Induced Degradation
Potential Induced Degradation(PID) impacts the solar cells adversely and is an undesirable aspect of solar panels. The factors that affect Potential Induced Degradation are – Voltage, heat and humidity.
The P-series solar panels are made of Multicrystalline Solar Cells with high transmission tempered anti- reflective tempered glass with specially designed cell to cell interconnection that is non robonned which eliminates the effects of potential induced degradation.
- Higher Energy: The row-row shading enables higher energy production than conventional solar panels. The parallel circuitry reduces shading loss to the shaded area compared to the conventional panels
- Product warranty: SunPower provides industry best power and product warranty for 25 years.
- Higher power: By lowering the resistance between solar cells and minimizing the white space between cells, efficiency is increased and thereby increasing the power of the solar panels
- More efficiency: The shingled design which are made of smaller solar cells carry much less current and stay cooler, enabling longer life of the solar panels. Also the providing durability under thermal expansion and contraction since the cell interconnection is different compared to the conventional solar panel.