Healthcare industry in general is an energy intensive industry. Unlike other commercial establishments hospitals need to be operational 24/7 amidst power outages and other emergencies. It’s absolutely necessary for the functioning of lifesaving equipment’s without interruption for the survival of patients.
With the rising power tariffs and the increase in energy demand businesses are forced to look at alternative ways to generate power. Hospitals make a strong case for using alternative energy sources given their extreme dependence on power for running the infrastructure.
Wouldn’t it be great to meet the energy demands in spite of power outages with efficiency and at the same time cut down on carbon emissions?
Is it possible?
Well, there’s good news: It is possible.
The use of Solar energy along with the efficient use of other energy sources make it possible to provide an efficient way to power the hospital infrastructure.
If you are looking for ways to improve energy efficiency of your hospital through renewable energy resources, you are at the right place.
In this article we take a look at how power generated from Solar PV systems can be beneficial for hospitals. Also we look at what needs to be considered before implementing the Solar PV system for a hospital.
Things to consider when installing Solar PV systems for Hospitals
If you are considering installing a Solar PV system then some of the questions to consider are:
- What is the purpose of installing a Solar PV system?
Is it for reducing energy costs? Is it for efficient utilization of roof space? Is the Solar PV system needed as a backup for critical equipment’s. Based on this have the Solar PV system installed.
- How much load does the Solar PV system have to support?
This can include the power taken up by critical lifesaving equipments and use of other basic equipment like AC, electricity and so on in a hospital building.
Also look at how energy efficiency can be brought in with the proper usage of appliances and ensuring that energy efficient practices are put in place.
- Are the space requirements feasible for the required load?
Things to consider are:
- Does the building have enough roof space for the solar panels can be installed for the required load requirements.
- Consider other options of ground mount or carport installation, also consider if the load requirements can be reduced for the solar installation based on the type of load in use (critical or basic).
- Also consider the backup be provided for the solar installation to enable continuous power supply.
- Location – Is the Solar PV installed in the proper location to get Sufficient Shadow free rooftop space for the optimum solar irradiation. Consider trackers to have the solar panels track the sunlight to get the most out of the Solar PV system.
- Vendor- Check if you are working with the right vendor with sufficient expertise in installing solar rooftops.
- Permits and Incentives – Consider the subsidies available from the State and Central government for Solar. Also consider the credits available from the Discoms(power distribution companies) for Net Metering option for providing surplus power to the grid.
- Other things to consider are:
- Weather/Climate – Is it mostly cloudy in the region? Does the solar installation provide sufficient power for the loads calculated?
- Backup power – the battery power needed to store power in case of power failures.
- Load shedding timing – Consider when the load shedding happens. If it happens in night may not be able to provide a lot of power.
Benefits of using Solar PV systems for Hospitals
- Cost Effective: Use of Solar Energy energy makes way for the production of power from a free natural source of energy which is cost effective and more reliable compared to the use of diesel generators.
- Reliable – Solar panels provide a 25+ years of long life with very little maintenance needed.
- Reduced Energy bills – Using Solar Energy helps reduce the utility bills with Higher ROI and greater savings.
- Efficient Roof space utilization – Utilize the roof space to the fullest extent to produce energy in an efficient manner. The hospital can also go for lease options – PPA(Power purchase agreement) where the vendor designs, installs and commissions the solar plant on the client’s premises with little to no cost and client needs to just pay for the power generated.
- Contribute to nature- Switching over from diesel generators to natural energy source helps you to contribute to the nature.(By reducing carbon emissions)
- Tax Savings – By having solar installed on rooftops, hospitals can enjoy the benefit of reduced taxable income under Accelerated depreciation or Tax holiday.
- Improve Brand image – It helps improve the brand image of the hospital with the green initiatives with increased investment opportunities as the demand for green buildings is on the rise.
In this article we have taken a look at the different factors to consider and the benefits that you can avail when installing Solar rooftop on your hospital building. Keeping these factors in mind helps you make better decisions when installing the Solar PV system for your hospital.
Are you thinking of installing a Solar PV system for your hospital? Get expert consultation from Lavancha. We at Lavancha offer premier Solar PV products with end-to-end services for our clients. Contact us for our services.