Hospitals are in an energy intensive industry compared to other businesses. There is a need to maintain lifesaving equipments critical for patient survival. Hence constant power supply is of utmost importance for hospitals.
But there are problems confronting energy production.
The demand for energy is rising everyday and so are the energy costs. Hence businesses are looking at alternative ways of producing energy. One of the natural available energy sources is the Solar Energy.
It is available for free. It provides an efficient way to power the hospitals. And it also enables the use the building’s rooftop space in an efficient way.
In this article we take a look at how power generated from Solar PV systems can be beneficial for hospitals. Also we look at what factors to consider before implementing the Solar PV system for a hospital.
Things to consider when installing Solar PV systems for Hospitals
If you are considering installing a Solar PV system then some of the questions to consider are:
- What is the purpose of installing a Solar PV system?
Is it for reducing energy costs? Is it for efficient use of roof space? Or is the Solar PV system needed as a backup for critical equipments. Questions like these help understand the purpose of the installation.
Based on this have the Solar PV system installed.
- How much load does the Solar PV system have to support?
Consider the load to support basic equipment’s like AC, electricity and so on in a building.
Also look at bring in energy efficiency through energy efficient practices.
- Are the space requirements feasible for the required load?
Consider the building Roof space for solar installation based on the load requirements. Also consider ground mount options or carport installation when encountered with space issues.
Also consider the backup for solar installation to enable continuous power supply.
Location – Lookout for shadow free rooftop space for maximum solar irradiation. Consider trackers for solar panels to track the sunlight to get the most out of the Solar PV system.
Vendor – Check if you are working with the right vendor with sufficient expertise in installing solar rooftops.
Permits and Incentives – Consider the Solar subsidies available from State and Central government. Also consider the Net Metering option to avail credits from the power companies for providing surplus power to the grid
Other things to consider are:
- Weather/Climate – Is it mostly cloudy in the region? Does the solar installation provide sufficient power for the loads calculated?
- Backup power – the battery power needed to store power in case of power failures.
- Load shedding timing – Consider when the load shedding happens. If it happens in night may not be able to provide a lot of power.
Benefits of using Solar PV systems for Hospitals
- Cost Effective: Using solar energy works out cheap and is much more reliable compared to using traditional resources. It provides much greater returns in the long run. The hospital can also go for lease options ( PPA(Power purchase agreement). Here the vendor designs, installs and commissions the solar plant on the client’s premises with little to no cost. The client needs to pay for only the power generated.
- Reliable – Solar panels provide a 25+ years of long life with very little maintenance needed.
- Reduced Energy bills – Using Solar Energy helps reduce the utility bills with Higher ROI and greater savings.
- Efficient Roof space utilization – Use the roof space to the fullest extent to produce energy in an efficient manner.
- Contribute to nature- Switching over from diesel generators to natural energy source helps you to contribute to the nature.(By reducing carbon emissions.)
- Tax Savings – Enjoy the benefit of reduced taxable income for solar installation. (under Accelerated depreciation or Tax holiday.)
- Improve Brand image – Increase investment opportunities with the prevailing demand for green buildings.
In this article we have taken a look at the different factors to consider when installing Solar rooftop on your hospital building.
Keeping these factors in mind helps you make better decisions when installing the Solar PV system for your hospital.
Also we looked at the benefits of installing solar for your building.
Are you thinking of installing a Solar PV system for your hospital? Get expert consultation from Lavancha. We at Lavancha offer premier Solar PV products with end-to-end services for our clients. Contact us for our services.